Cry it Out

After a baby is born, he or she cries merely. It is a proof that a healthy baby is delivered. It is one of the most cheerful sounds we would want to hear. So why is it related to weakness? Crying, somehow, is always related to vulnerability. A woman can show emotions easily and if a woman cries then it is okay but if a man cries, then he would be considered less masculine. However, in both cases, crying is not preferable.

People who don't cry easily must have gone through a situation in their childhood or teenage days which made them less emotional. They eventually become cold-hearted. I believe some circumstances from our past shape the humans we are today. It could possibly build-up inside and leads to more severe conditions. It differs from a person to another.

I remember when I was in grade four or five, my science teacher was going to leave us for a reason I don't remember now. However, when she delivered the news to us, some of my classmates and I cried and this happened in the last period so we were all emotional. We didn't want her to just leave. I was attached to her because even though she was strict, she made me love science so much. She made it fun and tricky and she found a way for us to think and be creative. I loved her so much.

When the time came to officially say goodbye, I was weeping so hard that I could barely breathe. I hugged her tightly but I had to surrender to reality. I washed my face and wiped off tears, and tried to act normal. After that, I was waiting for a family member to come and pick me up because the bus driver's rout doesn't include the place I was going to after school.

I was nervous to explain why my nose was red and it was so obvious that I was crying. I got into the car, he asked why I was crying and I had to answer because my teacher will no longer teach me. He began to laugh. It wasn't funny. I can't believe that I was only nine.

When we arrived home, he told everybody what happened. They all began to laugh and made it the top story to tell in that day. I didn't know what was so delighting about it. No one tried to make me feel better. It left me with a scar but it didn't stop me from expressing my emotions. I don't care if people would laugh or judge me because I cry and maybe it is how I reacted to that situation in my childhood. Mine was good but for others, it is the opposite.

If you hold back on the emotions--if you don't allow yourself to go all the way through them--you can never get to being detached, you're too busy being afraid. You're afraid of the pain, you're afraid of the grief. You're afraid of the vulnerability that loving entails. But by throwing yourself into these emotions, by allowing yourself to dive in, all the way, over your head even, you experience them fully and completely.” ― Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie

My advice can be summed up in these few lines. Never hold back your tears in similar situations. Don't let people's laughter and lack of sympathy affect you in a negative way. You are having a hard time and you are tired? Cry it out, it's okay. No one has the right to judge you for showing or expressing your emotions. It doesn't mean you are weak, in fact, you are very brave. Crying is a remedy for your pain.  

Comments

  1. That's a touching story from your past, thanks for sharing openly Malak.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts