When Sister-hood Magazine Found Me

Source: http://sister-hood.com/
A few months after I returned to my blog and whilst I was scrolling on Twitter, I came across a tweet from one of Sister-hood magazine staff. She asked me if I can submit an article so that they can publish it on their website. If you are not familiar with Sister-hood platform; it is a digital magazine for women of Muslim heritage. I remember that I didn't know what to do, I had my doubts at first.

I have never come across this magazine before so I didn't know if I should really submit to them. In addition, I was still at the beginning of my blogging journey. I thought it was too soon to be considered as a writer or contributor to any medium. At least that's what I had in mind.

After that, I did some research and I asked some of my friends who knew more about digital magazines and when I read few articles on their website; I was amazed and somehow motivated to make my voice heard on a wider range. I reached out to them with an answer and I began writing my first contribution to be sent to them.

Sister-hood digital magazine hasn't only given me the chance to make my voice heard on an international level but it has boosted my confidence to address topics which are not discussed my society. So instead of submitting one article; I found myself submitting six articles in less than a year. Here I share my contributions to this amazing platform by order. 

1- You are a Woman, so... 
"It is funny, because growing up, I used to hear relatives say ‘Well, you’re a girl,’ and I couldn’t understand what it meant. It meant that girls are to be blamed for being girls. This is was my breaking point, or maybe my realization point. It made me want to try to solve this mystery somehow."
http://sister-hood.com/malak-altaeb/youre-a-woman-so/

2- No Shame in Bleeding
 "Barriers have been built around menstruation. Girls cannot freely and openly talk about it, or even refer to it. It is always, in one way or another, related to sex, when in fact, menstruation has little to do with sex. Girls talk about it among themselves, but never go into details. There is a need for more information about menstruation in terms of health, hygiene, and possible health problems."
http://sister-hood.com/malak-altaeb/no-shame-bleeding/

3- Stop Judging Unveiled Women 
"People have taken the perspective of wearing hijab to a whole new level. I believe that if a woman chooses to wear it, the choice should come from a deeper belief of conviction. Little girls shouldn’t be forced to wear a headscarf."
http://sister-hood.com/malak-altaeb/stop-judging-unveiled-women/

4- Coded by "Honour"
" A girl is a burden her family must carry until she reaches puberty and gets married. Some tribes use spells and curses to ‘protect’ girls from rape or sexual assault. By this method, girls are coded by ‘honour’."
http://sister-hood.com/malak-altaeb/coded-by-honour/

5- To the Next Generation of Libyan Girls
 "You have no expiration date. Don’t let them fool you into an early marriage so you can have children early, or by telling you that your chances of marriage get lower year after year. You can study art, literature, astronomy, psychology, and anything else you want to study. There are no limits for your dreams. You can fall in and out of love; love is beautiful."
 http://sister-hood.com/malak-altaeb/next-generation-libyan-girls/

6- New Year - New Goals
 "Women are still paid less than men and face difficulties in employment because many jobs considered more suitable for men. This upcoming year, refuse to sell yourself short. Make sure that you get what you deserve. Stand up for a cause or join in an organization that you have always wanted to join. Make an impact amongst your peers and create a positive impact on small acts of kindness – and empowerment."
 http://sister-hood.com/sister-hood-staff/new-year-new-goals/

I am more than proud and ecstatic to have written for this incredible platform. I hope that I get to write more for the magazine and you never know what the future holds for us. If you are a woman of Muslim heritage, you can share your work with them. Thank you, sister-hood. 

Comments

Popular Posts