How to Dodge Thieves in The Streets of Paris


Traveling is one of the pleasures that all human beings must give it a try, it doesn't matter if you are the tourist type of travelers or the discover. In both cases, you will be either discovering the culture, best shopping deals, or the most popular touring spots in your intended destination. However, traveling is not always easy and perfect as we see on social media because they don't always share the hurdles they go through while traveling and we would assume that it was more than perfect (As the pictures they will share or videos or even stories). Rare are those who share the full-on picture and especially, the problems they face if there are any to mention to others. 

If you are a persistent reader of my blog, you would probably know that I currently live in Paris to pursue my graduate studies and living here doesn't only mean that I am a student, I wouldn't call myself a local but gradually, you become one. I don't know if I will ever stay in this country or if I will ever come back again but it became another place to call home away from home regardless of the obstacles I faced and still facing or how the French society is but it is a place that surely has a special place inside my tiny heart. 

Anyways, as I just mentioned, traveling has two sides and problems occur while traveling, and one of these problems that can happen to us is getting robbed by someone while touring or walking around the city. Paris is known for the high number of robberies that happen to people while walking and it happens mostly in crowded and touristic places like the Eiffel Tower area, The Louver square, Trocadero or any well-known places that any person will first visit once he or she is in the city.

Robbery here can happy in the metro, in the street, or even while using an ATM. In this article, I will share the precautions and stories I witnessed robberies or a possible robbery. For example:  

1- On the metro, try to sit in the inside chairs and use a pop socket and be careful. Usually, in the inside chairs, it does not happen much because any thief would rather stay close to the door so he can rush out of the metro once he commits the robbery. I once witnessed a robbery on the metro, a girl was sitting on the chair next to the door while a guy was sitting casually next to her, she was wearing a golden necklace, I don't think it was real gold but maybe it was valuable. In the intended stop for the guy, as the door only stays open for a minute or so, he grabbed the necklace off of her neck while she was busy scrolling her phone. He rushed to the door and it automatically closed after him leaving the girl in utter shock.I was shocked myself because it could've been me on that chair and maybe a phone could've been stolen instead.  

For the most part, if I am sitting on a chair by the doors, I don't use my phone because if you are standing by the door and a thief passes by, he can easily grab it from your hand if you are not holding it tightly and it happened to many people on the metro. My advice is that you better sit in the inside chairs or limit your usage and keep it in your pocket or your bag. 

2- The Eiffel Tower is one of the busiest areas in Paris as tourists LOVE to walk around and take pictures in front of the tower and there are always people who sell souvenirs on the street and as it gets busy, you will be approached by two people, one will ask you for the direction or to sign a paper for charity (which is fake) while another one will try to open your bag from behind and steal you. It almost happened to me but I was paying attention and I shoot them off immediately as I don't talk to strangers and they will look suspicious so pay attention. 

3- Another thing that almost happened to me was when my phone was almost stolen by a homeless woman. This actually happened when I was visiting Moret Sur Loing district in the southern part of Paris, it is about 45 minutes away by the train. On that day, I was extra cautious as the town was new to me and I just arrived and I decided to visit a church with my friend. My friend decided to go inside the church and take pictures while I stayed outside waiting for her. As I was waiting, I noticed a woman coming out of the church and she looked homeless but also, she gave me weird looks and my intuition told me to be careful and watch out. So, while I was waiting, I noticed that this woman was walking back and forth and my friend was still inside and I was calling her to come so we can leave. 

I don't take many things when I go out. I was keeping an eye on the woman and pretending I wasn't staring. Finally, she put her things on the floor and once I noticed that, I knew she was about to steal my phone as I kept it inside my bag. She came over and asked about the time and she was acting weird but the thing I did that she didn't see coming was that I put my hand inside my bag and took my hand out empty and looked straight into her eyes and told her the time and she was completely shocked because she thought I would get my phone out of my bag and she would grab it quickly and run but that didn't happen because I already knew what she was about to do. Again, pay attention and remain alert. 

Always try to take with you the essential things when you go out and it is better if you keep things in your bag because walking around with a wallet or your phone in your hand isn't recommended. Pickpockets target many of us because we stand out and look like we have money. Just be aware of your surroundings and your belongings at all times. If you know you are going to a particularly touristy spot, leave as much at home as you can. In case you get robbed, it is better if you make a complaint in the nearest police department and they will take it from there.   These are the stories I encountered while living in Paris so maybe these can work as a reminder the next time you’re around. Whether you are living in this city or you are just a tourist, always be careful and pay attention to your surroundings. These suggestions and notes could be applied to other countries as well. 

Comments

Popular Posts