Are you Already Falling in the Social Media Trap?

?
Social media became an integral part of our daily life or let’s say our current time, it is not just used for leisure but now, it is the source of accessing the world just by a single click. We can see the world through the internet web and we can connect and learn. Social media platforms increased in number and developed in terms of content and services. It has been gradually embedded in our lives and became a necessity. Now, social media platforms made people famous and also made (unnecessary) people famous too. People with a powerful message and inspiring content made jobs out of social media, people with businesses and startups, the list goes on and on.  

The problem is that social media became deeply rooted in our lives that we forgot how to actually live it. It became a source to document our days and just talk to our followers/friends and share our insights (which shouldn’t always be good!). But we can get carried away with social media that it can turn into a toxic community and we lose our way somehow. This year, in addition to keeping myself busy with my graduate studies, I wanted to focus on my mental health and inner peace. These two things, I believe are the most important things we need to take care of on top of our physical health. Once our mental health and inner peace are disturbed, it can make things hard for us and we can struggle in our life generally.  

This year, I have faced the ugly face of social media, especially, on Twitter. Sadly, Twitter has turned into a toxic platform where people give themselves the right to judge you and attack you and I have been attacked for so many reasons by some toxic people. I am saddened to have witnessed this impact but I learned plenty from it. However, with each encounter I faced, I found myself isolating myself and going through many troubles and instability within myself which was extremely hard to deal with but I managed to find my way.  

Throughout the past couple of months, I didn’t decide but somehow found myself reducing my activity on Twitter specifically because I filled my time with so many things and activities to do, academically and spiritually, that I began to see the true or real picture of this negative and full of issues platform and I managed to find my balance and control not only with Twitter but my general social media activity in the way I want to without feeling that I am risking something or even struggling.  

It has been almost a month I think since I have reduced my activity in general and it doesn't mean that I stopped using social media but I am starting to enjoy my life more and what I am currently doing especially with my academic research and fulfillment and it should not mean that I am not okay. So many people and friends whom I knew from Twitter reached out to check on me and I truly appreciate their concern but the majority thought something wrong happened to me or maybe I was having a rough time but the fact is, I am not and I am better than ever before because I chose my well-being and stability to be my first priority, to put limits to social media and its impact, and to find my purpose again. My reduced activity did not mean that I was not active but now, I am working on using it moderately and focus more on my ‘'ME’’ time and privacy.  

I conclude that in the end, we will all find ourselves going back to our privacy and surround ourselves with people whom we trust and we care about without going through the struggle of being attacked or finding ourselves explaining our ideas and trying to prove something to others when we shouldn't! Do not let social media control you and your actions. Do not change because of social media or how people would portray you in this virtual trap. Take control before it is too late. 

Comments

Popular Posts