To Life's Amazing Strangers

Today was a little bit hard for me, emotional wise. I have been trying to sort things out and it is one of the days when I am feeling overwhelmed and it got on me. I believe that remaining positive in the midst of an unknown situation like the one we are facing can be very challenging but I have been giving my ultimate best from spending quarantine alone to finishing my thesis and attending online classes.

This year has been extremely challenging, however, I managed to push through but it is not always the case! I decided to go to the park for some fresh air and greenery. I wanted to have some time to actually breath and let everything sink in. It was so refreshing though I spent it alone but I think it was much needed. 

I went to Buttes Chaumont Park located in Paris's 19th district. You would feel as if you left the city because it is so big with a wide green area and a lake. Nothing special happened during the time I was at the park as I stayed for about two hours so it was a very long period and I just wanted to relax and not think or worry about anything. I left the park later on and I found out that the metro station was a bit far so I decided to walk. While I was walking, people on the side of the road were playing some sort of game that I am not familiar with but looked like it is traditional because there were groups separated and playing together. Anyway, I was passing by the people on my right and view of the park from the top was on my left, I was just focused on the view and was carried away a little. 

While I was walking, I heard someone mentioning Sciences Po and at that point, I looked to my right and saw a group of old men playing the game I told you about and one of them said out of the blue Salam Alikom and I was surprised and I think he saw it on my face and I said Ahlan Amo in Arabic which means hello. He seemed so energetic and cheerful. He approached me and said where are you from? I replied: Libya. He was surprised and said that he is happy to see a Libyan here in France. He paused for a minute then he asked if I was really studying at Sciences Po because I was carrying my Sciences Po bag so I said: Yes, I am doing my master's at this university. He was so thrilled and excited and just said that he is happy to see young ladies pursuing their dreams and developing while being away from their home countries. He told me that his name was Abul-Razzak from Morocco and he has two daughters, one is doing an undergraduate studies and another pursuing a PhD in one of Paris's top universities. I was having a hard time but this encounter with this stranger made my day and cheered me up somehow. It put a smile on my face right away and I decided to document it once I get home. 

Comments

Popular Posts