Tripoli Through the Words of Libyans

Exclusive Picture by the Photographer Mohamed Bosifi 
The idea of this article came up suddenly when I remembered an article I wrote two years ago about Benghazi entitled Benghazi is belonging through Benghazians with two parts. Especially through what Tripoli is going through for almost a year now that it is being attacked by Haftar forces, the situation became terrible for citizens and people are still creating beauty regardless. 

The love I have for Tripoli is beyond describable. I was born and raised in Tripoli and lived in it my whole life. If you have been following the blog, you would notice that I wrote excessively about the history of Libya and major parts were around the old city of Tripoli and the hidden history of this mesmerizing city. Although I lived there my entire life; it never ceases to amaze me with every new thing I discover in it. 

In this article, instead of me taking the role to describe this city with my own words and emotions, I decided to let people take the lead and describe it themselves. Attached also, pictures contributed by people from Twitter and photographers. Special thanks to the photographer Anhar Jaber for the exclusive pictures for this piece which made it extra special and also to photographer Mohamed Bosifi for the stunning cover picture of this piece. 


Exclusive Picture by Photographer Anhar Jaber
''I cannot describe what Tripoli means to me but in short, it is a sigh of breath, it has been the treat of summer vacations. We would go and enjoy the summer there, the sea, cruising in shops, summer clubs, and visiting relatives. It has been a year since the last time I visited Tripoli because of the on-going conflict there. I say: my longing to you is bringing me back to you, my dear''. - Batool 

''Tripoli is the family, the beach, love, and oppression at the same time'' - Shatha Sbeta

''It is my belonging, my homeland, and my mother’s city of origin, it is a special symbol of Libya'' - Shahed 

''We lived for a few years in Tripoli before moving out to another city. Whenever I go through pictures of it, I feel a sense of nostalgia and every summer we visit Tripoli and for me, when I see Tajoura sea from distance, I immediately feel better. May Allah protect Tripoli and its citizens and that war ends soon''. - Jaiji  

 ''Tripoli means my education years, my youth, and my friends and family. It means my mother who is buried there and I miss her so much'' – Ghazi Ziad  


Photo Credit: Batool

عندما احتل الاسبان طرابلس عام 1510 كتب القائد الاسباني "بيترو دي نافارا" كتاباً لقيصره في صقلية واصفاً طرابلس
 فقال: "من تحدث عنها لم يقل نصف الحقيقه فلم ارى مدينة تماثلها في قوتها ونظافتها حتى اعتقدت أنها مدينة إمبراطوريه وليس مدينة لا تنتمي لأحد". - Ibrahim Elamruni 

 ''Tripoli is the loving lover, we were born in it and we learned the meaning of a difficult life. We lived through the good and bad, the bitter and the sweet. Tripoli embraced us regardless. We are destroying it and it is still protecting us. It is the home, the mother, it is the widowed bride in her youthful days''. -- Shahed Malek 

''Tripoli is everything and nothing at the same time'' --- Unknown

Photo Credit to Journalist Heba Alshibani

اليك هذه الأبيات من نظم صديقي عندما كان في سجون القذافي  
إِيهٍ طرابلسُ الحبيبةُ لَوْ لِوَحْدِكِ تَذْكُرِينْ .. شَوقِي لِحُضنكِ حينما تَتَغَنَّجِينْ .. أُنْسِي بقُربِكِ و البُعَادُ لهُ أنينْ .. لَعَلِمْتِ أنَّ العهْدَ لا يَبْلَى على مرِّ السِّنين - Hamed Elhoni

 ''Tripoli is the only city in Libya where people live in harmony without feeling different''. - Unknown 

''Tripoli is the different breeze of air, the one I can distinguish even if I lost other senses, It is Abu Laila tower, the fish market, the old city, the old mosques, Al-Shat road, and cornish, whenever I pass by them, I just feel happy''. - Wefak 


Photo Credit: Mohamed Sherif, a photographer from Benghazi

''The embracing city, the beautiful, the very real, the old, it is where you won’t be judged. It is the place when you have a bad day, you can go to Mizran street and drive or walk through its streets and your mood changes instantly, it is the place where you can fix your shoes or shirt and you’d find people doing it lovingly. The embracing educated mother that its day would not pass without a simple notion of fun''. - Hend 

''It is my youth and my old days. It is where the best people are and it is the arch, the sea, and Arrih alley. Tripoli is my memory with all of its details. It is the city where I lived my entire life. Tripoli means Alsaraya, Alghazala, ALshat, Cornish and the old city'' – The artist Alaa Budabbus 


Photo credit to Loujain

''I can never put the right words or give it justice when it comes to describing Tripoli. I have never visited Tripoli before but it was always a checkpoint point to another destination. However, whenever I remember it, I remember Hasan Arebi and 10 years under the tiles of Tripoli'' – Hend Benhalim 

''Like a mother, no matter ho hard she can be on you, your love for her won't stop or change''. – Hakim Abogrin 

''The most Arabian capital that I owe it the most, I got to know my best friends from it. It is the place that I will always remember the good from''. - Sirine Said, Tunisian citizen

Exclusive picture by the Photographer Anhar Jaber

 In the fifties, siblings of both of my grandparents went to Tripoli in the pursuit of education and it made them successful people. The city where they never felt foreign especially that the language was different from the one they used to a point they decided to start their own families in it. For my family, Tripoli is the giving and the kind. My family owes it to Tripoli forever''. - Shatha Mayouf  

''Tripoli is my story'' - The Photographer Hiba Shalabi 

''Who hasn’t fallen in love with Tripoli has not truly loved'' – Amal
. 
''I feel that part of my soul is present in this city, the vibes, the people, the buildings, everything about it. Tripoli is the Red Castle pictures at night and the lights are lighting it up like a surreal castle. Tripoli is the loving mother who is keeping us in her embrace and who went through a lot for us''. - Sondos Gharibi  


Exclusive Picture by Photographer Anhar Jaber

''It is the place where I feel safe even though I am one of its residents but her embrace is warm. Tripoli is the Mediterranean bride and our eternal capital'' – Fatima 

''When I read the question, a song by the Libyan artist Murad Ileui – Tripoli the bride, may his soul rest in peace, his words still have a huge impact on me until now'' – Loujain Ben 

''When you love something so much that you cannot describe this love, this is all I can say about Tripoli''K Hamdi  


Exclusive picture by the Photographer Anhar Jaber

''I love the cornish, I always imagine and think of many stories while walking there. It is the place I feel good the most in''Aisha 

''Tripoli has a special place in my heart. My father used to take a break from his work so we can go to Tripoli. I always feel as if I am traveling to another country. I love Tripoli so much and it is still in my mind regardless of distance. It is Janzour village, Corinthia hotel, The Red Castle, Martyr's square, and the good times''. - Ibtesam Elferjani

''It is the destination for all Libyans. For me, it is the mother and the bride of the world. I pray it gets better than before and this attack on it ends soon''. – Fatima Mayouf  

Photo credit to Loujain

''The peace of mind, the security, loyalty, love, place of birth, childhood, pain, nostalgia, longing,  happiness, sickness, the enjoyment of sitting by the beach. It is everything a mother means to her children is what Tripoli means to me. May Allah protect it''. - Samera Ahmed


''Tripoli represents art and culture.'' - Mohamed Be

''It is the beating heart'' -Ahmed Hadeed

''We live in Tripoli but Tripoli lives within us'' - Mona

''It is the city no matter how far you go, you will come back to its embrace and you will feel its kindness and longing'' - Joud
Photo Credit to Photographer Sara Madi








Comments

Popular Posts