6 Things You Didn't Know About Hun, the Gem of the Libyan Southwest

Photo Credit: Sarah Kamal Photography
The way history is taught in Libya when I was young wasn't interesting and I was very interested in history, especially, Libyan history since the former regime managed to erase any traces regarding Libya before 1969. My first visit to the national museum in Tripoli was the time I knew I loved everything about history. I think I was in Fourth grade and I was like a kid in a candy store, literally! I had my small notebook and I began to take pictures with the small camera my mom gave to me for the trip and I wrote down everything I saw, names, dates, etc. I was hooked from that moment but as I mentioned, history wasn't taught interesting stuff. 

If you read my blog posts then I am sure that you noticed how much I wrote about Tripoli and the love I hold for this city. However, I am passionate to know as much as possible about my country and the diversity is what makes it really special and too bad some people are too blind to see it. This time, I chose to do research about Hun. It is an oasis town in the northern Fezzan region of southwest Libya. The town is the capital of the Jufra District. It has very beautiful traditions and its rich culture is superb. It is one of the places I hope to visit one day and I am glad I know people from this great city. 

1- Aljilwa Catastrophe 'Nakba'
One of the most memorable events that the city of Hun faced back in 1929 when residents were evacuated by the Italian colonization. This event was called ''Aljilwa catastrophe ''Nakba'') and people were sent to Misuratah and Alkhums. in the picture above, you can see the destruction those buildings faced throughout that brutal event. which is still remembered by so many people until today.  

2- Qarrat Al-Afiya War
On 1928 October 31. Qarrat Al-Afiya war (معركة قارة العافية) occurred between Almujahideen and the Italian colonization troops. the later managed to get revenge for their great losses in this war by executing 19 heroic men from Houn.    

3- The Old City of Hun
Photo Credit: Ali Alokshi
The Old city of Hun is one of the landmarks there and it is considered a touristic spot where you can find the elegant streets and branched allies. Houses are made with local materials and the ceiling is made of palm branches and what makes it more beautiful with the spread mosques and the local shops. 

4- Hun Theater 
One of the most important activities in this city is the theater. It began in 1949 and the plays were played on the stage of Houn’s central school. The first work was entitled Milad Mohamed written by both Idris Alsheghwi and Al-Taher Al-Magdoud. The shows continued until 1956. Mister Al-Sheghwi was one of the founders of the national theater team in Tripoli in 1943. The great artist Omar Masoud wrote ‘’the happy family’’ play which was played by the band in 1962, in addition to this play, they also played The coming Family and both plays were played on the Martyrs theater in Houn and then they played it in Sabha in which the local station aired it live.   

5- the Spring festival 

The Spring festival is a tradition people of Hun city celebrate it and kids look forward to it every year. It is celebrated on the first day of Spring. This festival is known for Spring cookies ''كعك الربيع'' and it is made by families and they also make other types of traditional cookies like Ghraiba. Kids dress up in traditional clothes and all families gather and celebrate this day. 


6- Hun's Football Club 
It was the first club founded in Jufra region and the South. It is considered one of the oldest clubs in Libya. It was known for its diverse activities, socially, educationally, and sports wise. 

I will always be grateful to everyone who helped with my historical research as I am still digging for my country's lost and hidden history that I was deprived of for years. I am glad I have the chance now to ask and look for answers. I am glad I have the opportunity to share stories from my country to the world. 

Source of information and Pictures: Fatima, Areej, and Sara from Hun. Special thanks to these ladies. 

Comments

Popular Posts