The New Normal in the Corona Era

Yesterday, May 11th, the French government declared the end of quarantine ''deconfinement'' which left people under lockdown for 55 days since March 17th. It has been a critical time for the world and still is a critical time because this crisis is changing and reshaping many realities in ways we never imagined or thought of. I decided to go out for a real walk today. I spent lockdown in my place for the most part of lockdown and lived on deliveries to get my grocery and necessities which left me without the need of going out often and I was nervous when I had to go out the couple or three times during lockdown. Life feels weird after this lockdown.

I went out for a quick walk and could sense the difference right away. People are out but with face masks and gloves on. They are wearing worried looks rather than happy ones and we can no longer see smiles. I saw people sitting on benches away from each other and it felt strange. Everyone is keeping their distance and it is as if we are to get infected right away. This virus developed a greater sense of fear. I have lived back home in fear from bullets and rockets due to the several clashes I witnessed when I was there and I was afraid but the virus added more fear to the one I already had for a long time. 

I felt that I lost the ability to walk properly. I stumbled multiple times while walking and was only in my neighbourhood, haven't used the metro yet but felt weird and it took me awhile to adjust with the fact that I was out walking and felt a bit of ease and comfort at the end. It is funny how now we realized that we took so many things for granted, I paid attention to so many details while I was out. I looked at buildings differently, people, and graffiti work on walls. I could sense the difference right away and wondered for how long will this even last? I hope that this situation is a realization for the world to appreciate life better because one virus was able to shake our lives to the core and left us only adjusting to a new reality. 

Comments

Popular Posts