No One Has the Right to Judge Your Emotions


https://www.pexels.com/photo/photo-of-a-flock-of-birds-2867904/
As human beings, we express our feelings toward everything that happens in our lives. It is a mechanism to react and we are alive because we feel (in addition to breathing as well). For someone to say the opposite means that there is a problem, actually, a serious one. We laugh and smile when we are happy and ecstatic about something and we cry/weep when we are sad or devastated. and we cry happy tears when we are overjoyed about something.  We can be a roller coaster of emotions. 


In a society like mine, emotions, and feelings, at least good ones are in a way forbidden. Let's be honest and confess that we don't share beautiful emotions in public and we tend to share them in secret through social media chatrooms and we rarely use the term 'I love you' in public and it is such a shame to live life without being able to express these feelings out loud. Even crying can be shamed. I have always found it absurd not to express our feelings freely. The society slowly drains you out of emotions and some people tend to isolate them at some point in their lives. 

Our freedom is thus limited if we are restricted from expressing them. It is the simplest right we have as individuals to be able to express feelings at least freely but even our emotions, we are prohibited from expressing them. I wonder why anger and hate are easily expressed because society created this idea that anger portrays us as powerful when in fact it means that we are afraid from within. While showing love or even crying can make us look vulnerable and it is not good based on society's lame standards.  

There is another issue within the Libyan society is with the expats living abroad or even spending sometime beyond the Libyan borders and overseas. Some people residing in Libya have this conflict especially when those abroad express feelings of agony and missing to their homeland or a certain place within the country. Some people have the audacity to question their nationality or give ridiculous comments, such as, ''if I were in your place, I wouldn't even think about home'' or ''you have nothing to miss'' or ''I wish if I can miss it'' in a cynical way of putting the sentence and the list of examples is endless. 

There are so many examples in this regard and I personally received some of these ridiculous comments because I expressed the fact that I miss Tripoli and me found myself trying to justify my feelings to total strangers when in fact, I shouldn't. They can take it or leave it as it is. At that moment, I found out that my freedom of 'feeling' and 'expressing' these feelings were restricted and even questioned by others and in a way, I had to justify them. When in fact, no one has the right to question them for any reason. Remember,  feelings have no borders or limits. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts